As Followers of Christ, We're Called to Serve!
We offer many opportunities for you to grow in your faith by serving. Here are some examples:
- Soup Kitchen On the third Monday of every month, we serve at the Salvation Army soup kitchen in Schenectady. We meet after church on Sunday at 11:30 am to prepare food, and then head to Schenectady on Monday at 10:00. All are welcome to help!
- Fix-its Meets on Wednesday mornings at 8:15 am to help with maintenance and other projects around the church. All are welcome to come help, and to join us at Fo' Castle Farm for coffee at 10!
- Reading is fun! This program mobilizes adult volunteers to teach reading-readiness skills in Schenectady. You can find more information on this exciting opportunity to serve here.
- Schenectady Inner City Ministries Summer Lunch We provide volunteers to assist with this important program. Check back as we get closer to summer for more information on how you can be involved.
- We also have other occasional projects. Check the weekly bulletin and announcements for details.
- Belfast Peace Project Our VIM (Volunteers in Mission) group has left for their annual mission trip to Belfast, Northern Ireland. In past years, they worked with the Forthspring Intercommunity Group and the Springfield Road Methodist Church; building relationships with the people of Belfast and assisting with reconciliation and peace efforts. Project members also helped maintain and improve the facilities of Forthspring Intercommunity Group and the Springfield Road Methodist Church by doing construction, painting, landscaping and general maintenance. You can view pictures and read about this year's adventures on their blog!
- Volunteering at the Regional Food Bank A couple of church members volunteer at the Regional Foodbank in Latham. If you would like to find out about volunteering as an individual or as a family, please see the Volunteer page here. The Regional Foodbank is located at 965 Albany Shaker Road, Latham, NY 12110. If you’d like to know more, visit the page linked above, or Terry Pranys (she’s in the church directory) would be glad to talk with you.
Meeting Jesus Ministry Opportunity
Disciples of Jesus go out to serve the world...
- Because it is in serving that we meet our Lord. It is not, primarily, that we “have” something to give to the world, but that we grow in the knowledge and love of God when we engage the hurts and the needs of the world beyond our walls.
- Outreaching service – “giving ourselves away” – brings new life to congregations as we meet Jesus in the living-out of our faith.
- Learn more about this exciting opportunity here